The most frequently asked questions are about permits.
Here is a guide for applying for a permit:

Attention:  Changes to Permit Applications

In an effort to provide a higher quality, more streamlined permitting process for the regulated public, most Land Resources Management Programs (Alteration of Terrain Bureau, Subsurface Systems Bureau, Wetlands Bureau and the Shoreland Program) have updated their permit application forms.  If you provide permit applications to the public or submit permit applications to DES, please take a moment to discard old permit application forms and ensure you have the newest versions.  All current application forms are available at their respective DES web pages and have a revision date of 01/01/2012 located within the footnote.    As of April 1, 2012, the Land Resources Management Programs will no longer be accepting outdated permit application forms.  Going forward, all LRMP application forms will be simultaneously updated every 6 months.

Land Resources Management, a subsection of the Water Division, coordinates communication and resources across those bureaus and programs that regulate land development projects that may impact state aquatic resources. For more information, please visit the NH DES Land Resources Management web page at:

New Hampshire is the envy of many other states because it has long had laws protecting its wetlands.  The link below describes some of the benefits that are realized from conserving wetlands.

New Hampshire protects the shorelines of its lakes and rivers to reduce threats to water quality, protect important wildlife habitat, and keep the appearances of the water bodies more natural.  Here's a link to what is regulated via the Comprehensive Shoreland Protection Act.

Below are a series of frequently asked questions and answers.

? Putting in a dock?  Adding sand on a beach?  Doing something near a shoreline or in a wetland?

  1. A.In each of the questions above you are probably dealing with “wetlands.”  See below and click the attached link to get an idea of what a wetland is. Your land development project may require a state permit from the NH Department of Environmental Services. gotpermits.pdf


? If I need a permit for any of the activities, where do I get it?

  1. A.If you need a permit for one of the activities mentioned in the “Got Permits” publication, you can probably find further details at DES web site here: DES Website

? How can the town afford to buy up all of this conservation land?
Most of the conserved lands in Barrington are not owned by the town, but are privately owned and protected via Conservation Easements (see below).  When the town expends money for a conservation easement it is only paying for (and exterminating) the rights to develop the land, not for the land itself - a very considerable savings.  In most cases, the cost to the town of the easement itself is also lessened by grants from federal or state agencies, and/or by donation of the development value by the landowner.

Most of the money spent by the town to acquire conservation easements comes from the Conservation Fund, a pool of funds that is completely excluded from the town's operating budget (see RSA 36-A:5).  The source if its funding comes from the Land Use Change Tax, a tax that is imposed when land comes out of Current Use and is subdivided for development (see RSA 79-A:7 and RSA 79-A:25).  Thus the loss of open space from development is at least somewhat mitigated by the tax paid into the conservation fund, which can be used to protect other land.

It should also be noted that numerous studies have shown that development of land for residential use results in a net loss of revenue to the town.  Although owners of new houses will pay property taxes, that increase is more than offset by the increase in services that the town must provide.  For a summary of one study, see"

In a Conservation Easement the land remains in private hands and generally can continue to be utilized for forestry and agriculture, but the rights to develop it for houses have been permanently extinguished.  For a further description of conservation easements, see


Visit Stonehouse Pond and enjoy the beauty of Barrington Conserved Lands!

Schulz Easement     Photo: John Wallace